Tuesday, May 1, 2012

DIY Abaya

So, after days of sewing, frustration, impatience and relief, my abaya is done, alhamdulillah!  It is amazing to me because it actually looks like something I can wear in public.  I am very impressed by my own abilities but I don't think I will be able to do that again, since my kids wanted "to help" with EVERYTHING!  Especially they were excited about my pins....
Well, let me tell you how I got there. First, I used the sewing pattern for a modestly fitting tunic and I just elongated it to the length that I needed. I also extended the sleeves and changed the neck line.
I then decided to go with the biggest size on the pattern because I wasn't sure how the end result would fit and this way I cut always take some material in.  I need to mention here that I used a lot of Youtube videos, which show you the process step by step and are very easy to understand.  
Here is my final result.  I absolutely love the color of it, which is dark chocolate that matches pretty much anything.  I also added a pocket on the side, because I always have to have my phone and keys with me. On the neckline I simply used the HeatnBond tape (it took me only 5 minutes). 
In the conclusion, it took me $20 to buy the material at Hancock fabrics, which is 80% polyester and 20% rayon.  It feels so comfortable, light and is not see through! I feel like it is very simple and perfect for me for everyday outings.  But of course I still want the dressier ones that I saw online :) Alhamdulillah.




No comments:

Post a Comment